- Small overnight bag (approx airline carry-on size)
- Camera & Charger
- Sneakers or hiking boots
- Hiking clothes (shorts & T-shirt)
- Change of clothes for in hotel
- Swimwear & Towel
- Sun protection & bug spray
- Water bottle
- Warm layers (evenings can be cooler)
- Additionally in early spring or late fall:
- Hiking boots or durable sneakers (preferably gortex or waterproof)
- Warm layers (long underwear & wool fleece suggested)
- Waterproof jacket/pants for winter conditions
- Gloves, wool socks and a hat (75% of your body heat is lost through your hands, head, and feet.
Day 1: San Francisco -- Yosemite National Park
Leave San Francisco behind and cross the Bay Bridge, offering amazing views of Alcatraz Island and Angel Island. Cruise through Oakland, the East Bay and on to Central Valley to stop for groceries (own expense). Travel through Gold Country and the Sierra Nevada Foothills.
Arrive at Yosemite National Park after approximately 3 hours and hike down to the giant sequoia trees for a picnic lunch. After lunch, enjoy a fully narrated 1.5-hour tour through Yosemite's glaciated valley with your guide, and admire the waterfalls and rock formations.
In the afternoon, head to Yosemite Falls, where you'll have the choice of activities including a walk to the base of the falls, time at the main visitor's center, swimming, biking or hiking.
Regroup and head to your selected accommodation for dinner. At Cedar Lodge, situated near the picturesque Merced River, enjoy time to relax by the river and hang out in the pub. Enjoy private beach access and take advantage of the indoor and outdoor pool and Jacuzzi.
At Yosemite Lodge, located in the park at the foot of Yosemite Falls, the scenery is nearly unbeatable. This lodge embraces the beauty of the wilderness that is certain to be a highlight of your visit.Overnight hotel accommodations at Yosemite Valley Lodge at the base of Yosemite FallsDay 2: Yosemite National Park -- San Francisco
Pack up and drive to Glacier Point for views of Yosemite Valley. Here, you have the option to hike back to the valley or return in the biodiesel mini-coach and enjoy a full day of hiking, biking or lounging by the river.
Stop for a bite to eat (own expense) on the way home. Enjoy the San Francisco skyline as you cross the Bay Bridge and return to your hotel.